Sunday, December 23, 2007

J-Bolts

Because the original J-bolts that held the fuel tank straps were destroyed in the process of removing the fuel tank, I needed new J-bolts. After wasting time trying to locate replacements, I decided to fabricate my own. It was suggested to me that I could use a threaded rod and bend it into the proper shape but there had to be a better way. I went to the local Lowe's store and found the perfect candidates for conversion....3/8 inch x 6 inch eye bolts. This is what I used:


Notice the original shape on the left side of the photo. The original J-bolt was cut to remove the fuel tank because the nut was frozen to the bolt. Notice how the eye bolt is very close in size to the original.


I cut the eye bolt at the spot shown in the photo. After filing the rough edge, I secured the bolt in a vice and heated the entire non-threaded area with a torch until it was bright red. The steel was then very easy to form into the proper shape with a pair of slip-joint pliers. I then reheated the bolt and quenched it in cold water to temper the steel somewhat.

After it was cool and dry, I media blasted it and painted it with lacquer prime and silver metallic lacquer. The total cost was about $2 for the two eye bolts and about a half hour time.

If you would like to contact me via email click here.
If you would like to see larger versions of these photos click here.


No comments: