Thursday, January 31, 2008

How Midas Destroyed My Hubs!

A real heart-breaker...or...Don't even think of taking your classic vehicle parts to Midas!

I had purchased new Raybestos brake drums for the front of my truck. After making a few calls to local shops in and around Queensbury, New York, I decided to allow Midas of Queensbury to replace the old drums with the new.

I was assured that they knew what to do. They supposedly knew how to remove the old and install the new drums. They "knew" that the old drums had to be removed by cutting the areas around the studs. They "knew" that the studs and drums had to be staked to properly mount the drums.

When I went to retrieve the drum/hub assemblies, they were not attached! I was told that "it wasn't necessary." I also noticed that the studs were smashed where they used a heavy hammer to remove the drums! Arrrrrgh!

They agreed to purchase new studs, install them and to properly mount the drums. A couple days later this is what I saw....

My front wheel hubs were destroyed! Notice the bulge in the hub around the stud. Notice that the studs were not even the correct ones!

Notice also that the flange is bent and the studs are not straight. The dummies at the Midas shop assured me that they knew what they were doing. Yeah right!


I was able to get a refund from Midas but then I had to locate replacement front hubs. They would not pay for that added expense.

I would like to thank Vic L. of North Hills, California for supplying me with a pair of replacement hubs and shipping them to C. H. Topping of Long Beach, California.

The next entry to this blog will be a continuation of the front brakes story.

No comments: